The Board of Education of the La Cañada Unified School District is seeking qualified, interested individuals to serve on a committee of community leaders which will serve as the Independent Citizens’ Oversight Committee (“COC”) for the implementation of the District’s Measure school facilities bond programs.
Proposition 39 Bond Election On November 7, 2017, voters residing within the La Cañada Unified School District passed Measure LCF. Measure LCF is a $149 million bond measure that authorizes funding for needed repairs, upgrades, and new construction projects to the District’s schools.
Establishment of a Citizens’ Oversight Committee After a bond authorized under Proposition 39 is passed, State law requires that the La Cañada Unified School District Board of Education appoint an Independent Citizens’ Oversight Committee to work with the District.
Committee Responsibilities In accordance with Education Code Section 15278(b), the Citizens’ Oversight Committee shall:
- Inform the public concerning the District’s expenditure of bond proceeds of Measure LCF.
- Review expenditure reports produced by the District to ensure that Measure LCF bond proceeds were expended only for the purposes set forth in Measure LCF; and
- Present to the Board in public session, an annual written report outlining their activities and conclusions regarding the expenditure of bond proceeds of Measure LCF.The Bylaws which govern the Citizens’ Oversight Committee are attached to this Application.
Appointment of Committee Members All appointments will be made by the Board from applications submitted to the District. The Committee shall consist of at least seven (7) members appointed by the Board from a list of candidates submitting written applications, and based on criteria established by Prop 39, to wit:
- • One (1) member shall be the parent or guardian of a child enrolled in the District.
- One (1) member shall be either a parent or guardian of a child enrolled in the District and active in a parent-teacher organization, such as the PTA or a school site council.
- One (1) member active in a business organization representing the business community located in the District.
- One (1) member active in a senior citizens’ organization. • One (1) member active in a bona-fide taxpayers association.
- Two (2) members of the community at-large.
Time Commitment and Term Initial appointments will be staggered, such that some of the initial appointees will be appointed to serve one full two-year term. The other initial appointments will serve a one-year term, but will be eligible for reappointment by the Board for a second and third two-year term.
Would You be Interested in Serving? If you wish to serve on this important committee, please review the committee Bylaws for more information about the committee’s role and responsibilities and complete the attached application. Completed applications should be sent to La Cañada Unified School District by 4:30 PM on Monday, April 30, 2018. Applicants should note that the first introductory meeting will be held on Friday, May 18, 2018 at 8:30 a.m. in the Governing Board room at the District Offices, 4490 Cornishon Avenue, La Cañada, CA 91011.
Download application here: Independent Citizens’ Oversight Committee